I took the plunge and started going to the gym 2 days a week in the mornings. It hasn’t been easy. However, I have found with the proper planning, this is a good way for me to get those couple of extra gym days in while still going with the family in the evenings a couple days a week.
I have developed a morning routine that works pretty well. The routine starts the night before. I have to have my gym clothes and work clothes set out before I go to bed. Otherwise, I waste an extra 15 minutes in the morning blundering around not knowing what to wear in my sleep-induced coffee-lacking stupor.
I get my protein drink first thing in the morning and drink 1/2 a bottle of water. Then I brush my teeth and brush my hair and finish the rest of that bottle of water. I check my email and then get dressed in my workout clothes. I check that I have both my gym bag and my work bag packed. I start on my 2nd fill up of that water bottle, grab my lunch, and head to the gym. It takes me about 10-15 minutes after waking up to get on the road to the gym. I try to finish that 2nd bottle of water by the time I get to the gym.
To make me not feel disgusting after a morning workout, I have a gym bag with the following:
- The clothes I’m wearing to work that day, usually jeans and a t-shirt with a change of underclothes and socks. It doesn’t help to change out of sweaty gym clothes into clean clothes if you’re still wearing the same sweaty bra, panties, and socks. Ugh. I put my clothes into a plastic grocery store bag and then reuse it after I change to put my sweaty stuff in afterwards.
- Face wipes. Gotta get that sweat gone. After I use the wipes, I splash my face with cold water 2-3 times to start getting the redness going down.
- Aloe spray toner and moisturizer. Also for the redness. I keep a bottle of Mario Badescu’s Facial Spray with Aloe, Cucumber, and Green Tea because I love it. When the bottle gets about 1/2 empty, I fill it back up with the Aloe Vera Toner to get a bit more use out of the bottle. Then I use the Formula 10.0.6 Seriously Shine Free Mattifying Oil Free Moisturizer. I’d rather use the Privai Matte Moisturizer but that crap is super expensive at $30 per bottle so this $7 bottle works for now. It is moisturizing, but also has aloe for the redness and is mattifying which helps with the oil later in the day.
- Dry shampoo. I really am having a love affair with dry shampoo. If my hair isn’t completely covered in sweat, I spray it on fairly heavy in my trouble spots (crown and top) and leave it to soak for my commute to work. It makes me look super weird so I get looks when I hit a drive-thru for coffee after my workout but I really don’t care. I just hope I never get pulled over on my way to work. lol If I’m super sweaty, I have to wait until I get to work and get the dry shampoo out of my work kit instead.
- Boar bristle brush. I hate this brush. I haven’t found a boar bristle brush that I actually like. But since I use dry shampoo, I have to have the stupid brush. Ugh.
- Deodorant. I should say this is deodorant and anti-perspirant. I put this stuff on before I work out at home of course. But I put it on again afterwards. I’m trying to get healthy, not smell like a locker room.
- Anti-bacterial baby wipes. In lieu of a shower, I have these baby wipes to hit the sweaty spots. It isn’t as good as running water and bath soap, but it is better than nothing. And some days, I just don’t have those extra 10 minutes to get in the shower. Or wait for someone to get out. The women’s bathroom at my gym is big enough that I have space to clean the lady bits. The unisex single shower is not much bigger than a closet, including the not-the-shower entry. Not going to lie, I find the wipes much preferable over the shower.
- Towel. For after the shower, not during workouts. I don’t use it often since I skip out on the shower but it is obviously a necessity.
- Bath soap. For my specific skin issues, I have to use anti-bacterial hand soap as body wash. Doctor’s orders. I have about a dozen of the travel size hand soaps in my toiletries stash so I always have a replacement for my gym bag.
Since I try to get 2 bottles of water down before I start my workout, I have to pee constantly. That is my break between sets. lol I generally go through a 3rd fill up during my workout and try to finish a 4th fill up on my commute between my morning coffee. I’ve been trying to get black coffee so I’m not tempted to drink coffee and skip the water. I’m getting a lot of my hydration before 8am. And then I pee all damn day long. 😀
My biggest complaint about this whole set up is leaving the bag in my car when I get to work. Those sweaty clothes marinate inside the plastic bag so that is not cool. But I also don’t like for my other stuff to get hot. I can fit everything except the wipes and towel inside my large YSL makeup bag they sent in a gift set a while back so I just toss it in my computer bag and bring it inside the office. I can’t do much for the facial wipes and anti-bacterial baby wipes. If it isn’t raining, I crack the windows in my car and open that plastic bag so my clothes aren’t quite so rank when I get them home.
If you hit the gym, what is in your gym bag?