I have seen so many YouTube videos raving about Ben Nye Colorless Powder. I love loose powder and seeing that huge bottle of powder intrigued me. I found it on Amazon.com. There are so many different retailers selling this product! I picked up the 3-ounce bottle that retailed for $25.00 ($8.33/oz) normally. I got mine on sale for $18.00 though. It scored a 17.
- This powder is mostly translucent. It blends in with my makeup very well when applied right.
- It doesn’t smell.
- The baby powder-like bottle makes dispensing this powder so easy with a lot less mess.
- I can see the oil control all day long.
- This powder is mostly translucent. While blending out well, if I get heavy handed, I can see a noticeable lightening of my foundation and concealer. The lady at Sephora said that this powder is much better applied with a brush rather than a puff like I apply the rest of my loose powders. Less is more.
- There is a lot of flashback in flash photography, even if you are light with application and blend until your arms hurt.
I am really happy with this product. It took a few tries to get it right. I couldn’t figure out why my Kat Von D foundation suddenly looked so pale. I even took the foundation back to the store with the intention of getting a darker shade. After talking to the lady at Sephora, we came around to setting powder and she raved about this setting powder but had strong caution to go easy with it. She demonstrated with a brush and a random setting powder on how much to use and how to apply it for the best results. She literally used about 1/3 of the amount of powder I had been using! I kept my Kat Von D Lock-It foundation in light neutral and spent some more time working on applying the powder. She was right, again. She is the one that pointed out the flash photography issue too. I hadn’t gotten to that point yet.
I’ve mentioned this before but I find it hysterical that Ben Nye is a company that specializes in special effects makeup. Fake blood and clown makeup. But some of these powders really do work well with every day makeup. I have other setting powders that I won’t be giving up any time soon but this is a very worthy addition to my collection. I’ll have to have it around for a few months to see how it holds up to humidity with that thin plastic container and screw top cap. Provided it hasn’t melted into a paste in a month or so, I will definitely rebuy this. But with 3 ounces of loose powder, that may be next year!